Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's not like the brochure would have you believe.

I'm bad with money.

I mean. . .not royally bad.  Just kind of bad.  I don't spend money I don't have or anything like that.  But I'm bad at saving.  Worse at prioritizing.  I am better than I used to be, and that is very encouraging to me.  It makes me think that I can keep improving, and eventually be able to check "good money management" off of my "So You Think You're an Adult?" questionnaire.

What is the SYTYAA Questionnaire, you ask?  Well friends, let me clue you in.  In this country, we technically become adults at the age of 18.  However, anyone who's well past their teenage years (like moi), will tell you that is ridiculous.  At 18, you've barely touched the surface of who you are as a person.  What you're capable of. . .what you have to offer the world.  So just because the U.S. government recognizes your pimply, hormone-crazed ass as an adult, it doesn't mean you really are one.

Being an "adult" is less about your age and more about your mindset.  And it's an on-going process.  I don't care how together someone's life is.  I don't care if you have all the monies, the greatest significant other, amazing kids, a beautiful house, a well-trained dog, a perfectly-manicured lawn, a size 6 body that looks good in everything, your own successful business. . .oh my god.  I hate YOU.  Wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah.  Sorry.  It doesn't matter how together your life is, there's always more to learn.  More to do.  More to give.  And this is something we all forget.  Myself especially.  I get bogged down by my everyday life.  ALL THE TIME.  I try to think "big picture", but I often fall back on "yeah, but today. . .".  It's difficult.  Which is kind of what being an adult is all about.  Dealing with the difficult stuff.

Having said all of that, there are certain things you can do to make your maturity-seeking journey easier.  And this is what I call the "So You Think You're an Adult?" Questionnaire.  It's just some questions, that when properly answered, I think put you a step or two closer to adulthood.

So You Think You're an Adult?


1.  What's more important to you:  partying all night, or going to work not feeling like death so you can earn money and pay your bills?

2.  You're saving money like a fiend.  Is it to pay off your student loans, or for a new pair of ridiculously over-priced, celebrity-endorsed sneakers?

3.  A night of drinking to you means:  tequila shots off random strangers or a bottle of good wine with your friends and a wheel of brie?

4.  You're looking at buying a new car.  What do you check first: the color, or the price?

5.  You have a day off.  Are you sleeping until noon, then going to the movies and getting food with your friends?  Or are you using those hours when you're not at your job to do some unpaid labor by cleaning and doing laundry?

6.  A friend calls you with an idea to go to a concert in L.A.  Tomorrow. And you have no where to stay.  And the ticket costs $200.  Your reaction:  "Hell yeah!"  or   "Duuuuuuuuude, I'd love to, but that's my car payment."

* * *

I could go on, really.  That's just a sample.  And it makes adulthood sound incredibly painful and boring.  Which it sometimes is.  But it's also about the power to make decisions for yourself.  It's discovering what's important in your life, and what you're willing to do to achieve those things.

I think we all struggle.  Some of us more than others.  But realizing that no one is alone in this journey is half the battle.  There are days when I feel like I am a big lonely island.  (Ahhhh, The Lonely Island.  Andy Samberg pre-SNL.  Check it out!)  I get depressed and I hide from the world (and my responsibilities).  But that doesn't solve anything.  Acting like an adult will.

Now. . .where did I put those big girl pants?

3 comments:

  1. Giiiirl! I loved you already but reading these posts brings to light SO many things we have in common, including the fact that this is the background I started my blog with. :D Miss your face, want to have a Scentsy shindig, let's get together and bust out the wine and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you said times a million! Yes, let's get together soon, I'll take a look at my schedule for next week and get back to you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are third answers to a lot of these questions that reveal oldness.

    Like the drinking one? I can't even have a/one/lone/solitary drink without a dehydration migraine.

    Paying off student loans? Done. Saving for the 14 year old's college? Yes.

    Looking at cars? I'm "looking but not buying" until the one I drive has repair cost that exceed the cost of payments for a new car for a year.

    But I can't keep my house clean, I still work very hard to fight the strange hours I would like to sleep like 3am-11am. I am still annoyed that laundry will always accumulate, and I haven't cleaned my shower in over a year because it seems like all the soap and water I use in there keep it clean.

    ReplyDelete